The European Organization for Nuclear Research
known as CERN (/ˈsɜːrn/; French pronunciation: [sɛʁn]; derived from the name "Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire"; see History), is a European research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Established in 1954, the organization is based in a northwest suburb of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border, (46°14′3″N 6°3′19″E) and has 22 member states. Israel is the only non-European country granted full membership.
CERN's main function is to provide the particle accelerators and other infrastructure needed for high-energy physics research – as a result, numerous experiments have been constructed at CERN as a result of international collaborations.
CERN is also the birthplace of the World Wide Web. The main site at Meyrin has a large computer facility containing powerful data processing facilities, primarily for experimental-data analysis; because of the need to make these facilities available to researchers elsewhere, it has historically been a major wide area network hub.
Advanced Wakefield Experiment by cern
The Proton Driven Plasma Wakefield Acceleration Experiment (AWAKE) is an accelerator R&D project based at CERN. It is a proof-of-principle experiment investigating the use of plasma wakefields driven by a proton bunch to accelerate charged particles.
A plasma wakefield is a type of wave generated by particles travelling through a plasma. AWAKE will send proton beams through plasma cells to generate these fields. By harnessing wakefields, physicists may be able to produce accelerator gradients hundreds of times higher than those achieved in current radiofrequency cavities. This would allow future colliders to achieve higher energies over shorter distances than is possible today.
chk it out here
- Alumni event on 20 May – "News from the lab: The New Small Wheels for the upgrade of the ATLAS experiment muon spectrometer" May 11, 2021Alumni event on 20 May – "News from the lab: The New Small Wheels for the upgrade of the ATLAS experiment muon spectrometer" thortala Tue, 05/11/2021 - 11:36 Join the audience on 20 May from 6 p.m. to 7 p.m. for the latest edition of the "News from the Lab" event series which will be dedicated […]thortala
- Conferences on radiation effects in space, avionics, ground and accelerators | 17-20 May 2021 May 11, 2021Conferences on radiation effects in space, avionics, ground and accelerators | 17-20 May 2021 thortala Tue, 05/11/2021 - 08:52 Register now on Indico for the RADSAGA Final Conference and Industrial Event on 17-19 May 2021. The RADSAGA (RADiation and reliability challenges for electronics used in Space, Aviation, Ground and Accelerators) consortium is an EU-funded project […]thortala
- CERN concludes “Read and Publish” agreement with publisher Wiley May 10, 2021CERN concludes “Read and Publish” agreement with publisher Wiley CERN Library thortala Mon, 05/10/2021 - 15:46 Following the signature of several Read and Publish agreements with various publishers (IOP, Springer, Elsevier and IEEE), the CERN Scientific Information Service (SIS) has just concluded a fifth agreement, this time with publisher Wiley, thanks to the Consortium of Swiss […]thortala
- CERN colloquium on the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA), followed by a Library Talk event | 29 April April 28, 2021CERN colloquium on the Laser Interferometer Space Antenna (LISA), followed by a Library Talk event | 29 April anschaef Wed, 04/28/2021 - 10:24 On Thursday, 29 April 2021 at 4.30 p.m., Professor Monica Colpi (Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca) will give a presentation on “The Laser Interferometer Space Antenna to Explore the Invisible Universe” (more […]anschaef
- Software and computing for high-energy physics will take the stage at vCHEP2021 April 27, 2021Software and computing for high-energy physics will take the stage at vCHEP2021 anschaef Tue, 04/27/2021 - 12:13 (Image: CERN) Registration for the (virtual) 25th CHEP conference, which will take place from 17 to 21 May 2021, is now open. In the light of the ongoing pandemic, it was decided to organise an online version of […]anschaef
- Join DK@CERN 2021: connecting technology experts with Danish companies April 27, 2021Join DK@CERN 2021: connecting technology experts with Danish companies anschaef Tue, 04/27/2021 - 11:59 The DK@CERN industrial exhibition, organised by CERN in collaboration with the Danish Technological Institute, will be attended by a wide spectrum of Danish companies active in fields of interest to researchers, engineers and technicians at CERN. “The objective is to develop […]anschaef
- Discover the new CERN Library Catalogue April 26, 2021Discover the new CERN Library Catalogue CERN Library IT department thortala Mon, 04/26/2021 - 12:42 The Library Catalogue, which used to be on the CERN Document Server (CDS), now has its own application: http://catalogue.library.cern The CDS and Library teams have been jointly developing the CERN Library Catalogue with the aim of improving your experience when […]thortala
- Closure of main access point to SM18 on 27 April 2021 from 1:30 pm April 22, 2021Closure of main access point to SM18 on 27 April 2021 from 1:30 pm SCE department thortala Thu, 04/22/2021 - 15:44 Due to construction works, the main access point to the SM18 site will be closed to vehicle traffic on 27 April 2021 from 1:30 pm to approximately 3 pm. The entry and exit of […]thortala
- New online EDH form will improve ticket handling and user experience April 13, 2021New online EDH form will improve ticket handling and user experience FAP department thortala Tue, 04/13/2021 - 16:14 A new online form to report a technical issue in an EDH document or to submit a request (for information, access, a change, etc.) is now available. You can already use it by clicking the link at the bottom […]thortala
- Test of new internet firewall on 26 and 27 April April 13, 2021Test of new internet firewall on 26 and 27 April thortala Tue, 04/13/2021 - 16:02 As previously announced, the CERN Computer Security team and the IT-CS Networking group are deploying a new internet-facing firewall. This firewall is scheduled to undergo several validation tests and will soon be checked with real CERN–internet traffic: on the morning […]thortala
Cern Live Feed