The European Organization for Nuclear Research
known as CERN (/ˈsɜːrn/; French pronunciation: [sɛʁn]; derived from the name "Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire"; see History), is a European research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Established in 1954, the organization is based in a northwest suburb of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border, (46°14′3″N 6°3′19″E) and has 22 member states. Israel is the only non-European country granted full membership.
CERN's main function is to provide the particle accelerators and other infrastructure needed for high-energy physics research – as a result, numerous experiments have been constructed at CERN as a result of international collaborations.
CERN is also the birthplace of the World Wide Web. The main site at Meyrin has a large computer facility containing powerful data processing facilities, primarily for experimental-data analysis; because of the need to make these facilities available to researchers elsewhere, it has historically been a major wide area network hub.
Advanced Wakefield Experiment by cern
The Proton Driven Plasma Wakefield Acceleration Experiment (AWAKE) is an accelerator R&D project based at CERN. It is a proof-of-principle experiment investigating the use of plasma wakefields driven by a proton bunch to accelerate charged particles.
A plasma wakefield is a type of wave generated by particles travelling through a plasma. AWAKE will send proton beams through plasma cells to generate these fields. By harnessing wakefields, physicists may be able to produce accelerator gradients hundreds of times higher than those achieved in current radiofrequency cavities. This would allow future colliders to achieve higher energies over shorter distances than is possible today.
chk it out here
- Call for volunteers to take part in a realistic emergency response exercise at CMS October 21, 2021Call for volunteers to take part in a realistic emergency response exercise at CMS thortala Thu, 10/21/2021 - 14:54 After the success of the emergency response exercise at the Globe in 2019, which took place in collaboration with the emergency services of CERN’s Host States, the CERN Fire and Rescue service is organising another exercise […]thortala
- Science Gateway: Night-time traffic disruptions expected from 25 October to 2 November on the Route de Meyrin October 15, 2021Science Gateway: Night-time traffic disruptions expected from 25 October to 2 November on the Route de Meyrin ccoman Fri, 10/15/2021 - 09:31 Science Gateway, CERN’s new flagship centre for science education and outreach designed by the Renzo Piano Building Workshop and brodbeck roulet architectes associés, continues to take shape. The first tube structure was installed […]ccoman
- Winter tyres mandatory in France from 1 November October 14, 2021Winter tyres mandatory in France from 1 November thortala Thu, 10/14/2021 - 15:31 From 1 November 2021 until 31 March 2022, several French départements, including Ain and Haute-Savoie, will require cars to be equipped with winter tyres or to have snow chains in the boot. The aim of the new regulation is to enhance road […]thortala
- Traffic disruption expected on the route de Meyrin on 14 October due to the transportation of ATLAS detector components October 11, 2021Traffic disruption expected on the route de Meyrin on 14 October due to the transportation of ATLAS detector components thortala Mon, 10/11/2021 - 13:22 The old ATLAS "Small Wheel" was transported from the Meyrin site to LHC Point 1 on Tuesday, 12 October. Its replacement, the New Small Wheel (NSW), will make the reverse journey […]thortala
- ExaHealth 2021 October 7, 2021ExaHealth 2021 Andrew Purcell James Beacham ccoman Thu, 10/07/2021 - 09:44 On Monday, 18 October, CERN openlab and Chelonia Applied Science will host a first-of-its-kind workshop called ExaHealth 2021. The half-day virtual event will begin at 1.00 p.m. CEST and will examine the potential for exascale computing and machine learning to support efforts to improve public […]ccoman
- The flu vaccination campaign has restarted September 30, 2021The flu vaccination campaign has restarted thortala Thu, 09/30/2021 - 15:51 The CERN Medical Service is running its annual flu vaccination campaign during the month of October. Vaccination is free of charge to anyone working on the CERN site. Vaccination is taking place at various locations on the Meyrin and Prévessin sites, as well as […]thortala
- Knowledge Transfer seminar: Early-Career Researchers in medical applications @ CERN – short talks September 27, 2021Knowledge Transfer seminar: Early-Career Researchers in medical applications @ CERN – short talks ccoman Mon, 09/27/2021 - 16:51 CERN’s Knowledge Transfer group would like to invite you to a Zoom KT seminar on 6 October at 2.00 p.m., to discover how technological advances for high-energy physics have become essential tools for modern medicine. This series […]ccoman
- Online Town hall meeting on CERN Council week – Monday 11 October 2021 September 27, 2021Online Town hall meeting on CERN Council week – Monday 11 October 2021 ccoman Mon, 09/27/2021 - 14:49 Last Friday marked the end of CERN Council week, a week of intense and very fruitful discussions on the ongoing scientific programme and other activities of the Laboratory and their future. CERN Director-General Fabiola Gianotti is inviting […]ccoman
- Unavailability of gas station on Prévessin site on Thursday 30 September September 27, 2021Unavailability of gas station on Prévessin site on Thursday 30 September SCE department thortala Mon, 09/27/2021 - 12:30 Please note that the gas station on the Prévessin site will be closed on Thursday 30 September all day because of maintenance work. The gas station on the Meyrin site is unaffected and will remain open. We apologise […]thortala
- CERN collaborates with "100 + 1 years of international life" exhibition in Divonne-les-Bains September 22, 2021CERN collaborates with "100 + 1 years of international life" exhibition in Divonne-les-Bains thortala Wed, 09/22/2021 - 11:44 In 1920, Divonne-les-Bains was a small rural spa town, the Pays de Gex was farmland and Geneva was preparing to host the League of Nations. In 2021, Divonne-les-Bains shines with its own light, the Pays de Gex […]thortala
Cern Live Feed