The European Organization for Nuclear Research
known as CERN (/ˈsɜːrn/; French pronunciation: [sɛʁn]; derived from the name "Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire"; see History), is a European research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Established in 1954, the organization is based in a northwest suburb of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border, (46°14′3″N 6°3′19″E) and has 22 member states. Israel is the only non-European country granted full membership.
CERN's main function is to provide the particle accelerators and other infrastructure needed for high-energy physics research – as a result, numerous experiments have been constructed at CERN as a result of international collaborations.
CERN is also the birthplace of the World Wide Web. The main site at Meyrin has a large computer facility containing powerful data processing facilities, primarily for experimental-data analysis; because of the need to make these facilities available to researchers elsewhere, it has historically been a major wide area network hub.
Advanced Wakefield Experiment by cern
The Proton Driven Plasma Wakefield Acceleration Experiment (AWAKE) is an accelerator R&D project based at CERN. It is a proof-of-principle experiment investigating the use of plasma wakefields driven by a proton bunch to accelerate charged particles.
A plasma wakefield is a type of wave generated by particles travelling through a plasma. AWAKE will send proton beams through plasma cells to generate these fields. By harnessing wakefields, physicists may be able to produce accelerator gradients hundreds of times higher than those achieved in current radiofrequency cavities. This would allow future colliders to achieve higher energies over shorter distances than is possible today.
chk it out here
- Introduction to the “International Masterclasses” education programme on 1 December [Online only] November 25, 2020Introduction to the “International Masterclasses” education programme on 1 December [Online only] thortala Wed, 11/25/2020 - 15:31 “International Masterclasses” is a programme coordinated by the International Particle Physics Outreach Group, which gives high school students in 60 countries the opportunity to be particle physicists for one day by analyzing real data from particle physics experiments with researchers. In the Introductory Masterclasses, […]thortala
- Symposium on art and science “Re: View from Nowhere” on 26 November [online only] November 24, 2020Symposium on art and science “Re: View from Nowhere” on 26 November [online only] thortala Tue, 11/24/2020 - 10:53 The online symposium “Re: View from Nowhere” will take place on Zoom on 26 November at 4 p.m. CET. It will investigate how physics – “the science in which we have achieved our greatest detachment from a […]thortala
- 28 November (all day): emergency stop tests in the administrative area of the Meyrin site November 23, 202028 November (all day): emergency stop tests in the administrative area of the Meyrin site thortala Mon, 11/23/2020 - 12:10 Frequent power cuts will occur in the administrative area of the Meyrin site. The EN-EL group recommends that you turn off all your critical equipment and computer equipment. For any further information please refer to […]thortala
- Library opening November 6, 2020Library opening CERN Library thortala Fri, 11/06/2020 - 11:00 The Library desk staff will be present in their office in case of need. A sign at the Library entrance will show the name and office of the person on duty. Our offices are in the corridor just around the corner in building 3. We are […]thortala
- Remote access to Library electronic resources November 6, 2020Remote access to Library electronic resources CERN Library thortala Fri, 11/06/2020 - 10:55 The instructions are available here. For any questions, do not hesitate to contact us: email@example.com
- The "Particle Physics Reference Library" is now available on everybody’s desktop November 4, 2020The "Particle Physics Reference Library" is now available on everybody’s desktop CERN Library thortala Wed, 11/04/2020 - 18:07 Since the publication of the announcement “eBooks for all!” this summer, all volumes of the “Particle Physics Reference Library”, edited by Herwig Schopper, Chris Fabjan and Steve Myers, have been published. The reference library is a joint CERN-Springer […]thortala
- Schools on particle accelerators and particle physics instrumentation from January to March 2021 [ONLINE] November 4, 2020Schools on particle accelerators and particle physics instrumentation from January to March 2021 [ONLINE] thortala Wed, 11/04/2020 - 08:58 Applications are open until 27 November for two schools on research and engineering subjects: the European School of Instrumentation in Particle and Astroparticle Physics (ESIPAP) and the Joint Universities Accelerator School (JUAS). Please note that both […]thortala
- Closure of Route Weisskopf as of 9 November November 3, 2020Closure of Route Weisskopf as of 9 November SMB Department thortala Tue, 11/03/2020 - 17:12 Due to works, Route Weisskopf will be closed to traffic in front of building 18 from 9 November and for an estimated duration of 5 weeks. Circuit n°1 of the shuttles will be affected: the stop at building 101 will […]thortala
- Online introductory lectures on quantum computing from 6 November November 2, 2020Online introductory lectures on quantum computing from 6 November thortala Mon, 11/02/2020 - 17:24 A series of weekly lectures on the basics of quantum computing will be broadcast via webcast starting 6 November 2020 at 10.30 a.m. CET. New lectures will be broadcast each Friday of the next seven weeks. The talks will focus on […]thortala
- Requests regarding private vehicles to be managed by the Mobility Centre as of 4 November 2020 October 27, 2020Requests regarding private vehicles to be managed by the Mobility Centre as of 4 November 2020 SMB Department thortala Tue, 10/27/2020 - 15:09 From 4 November this year, the Mobility Centre will be pleased to respond to your requests and queries regarding private vehicles, including applications for VAT exemption (green plates) and tax-free importation of […]thortala
Cern Live Feed