The European Organization for Nuclear Research
known as CERN (/ˈsɜːrn/; French pronunciation: [sɛʁn]; derived from the name "Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire"; see History), is a European research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Established in 1954, the organization is based in a northwest suburb of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border, (46°14′3″N 6°3′19″E) and has 22 member states. Israel is the only non-European country granted full membership.
CERN's main function is to provide the particle accelerators and other infrastructure needed for high-energy physics research – as a result, numerous experiments have been constructed at CERN as a result of international collaborations.
CERN is also the birthplace of the World Wide Web. The main site at Meyrin has a large computer facility containing powerful data processing facilities, primarily for experimental-data analysis; because of the need to make these facilities available to researchers elsewhere, it has historically been a major wide area network hub.
Advanced Wakefield Experiment by cern
The Proton Driven Plasma Wakefield Acceleration Experiment (AWAKE) is an accelerator R&D project based at CERN. It is a proof-of-principle experiment investigating the use of plasma wakefields driven by a proton bunch to accelerate charged particles.
A plasma wakefield is a type of wave generated by particles travelling through a plasma. AWAKE will send proton beams through plasma cells to generate these fields. By harnessing wakefields, physicists may be able to produce accelerator gradients hundreds of times higher than those achieved in current radiofrequency cavities. This would allow future colliders to achieve higher energies over shorter distances than is possible today.
chk it out here
- The 2018 CERN Annual Report is available July 18, 2019The 2018 CERN Annual Report is available cmenard Thu, 07/18/2019 - 16:59 The 2018 CERN Annual Report is available. It was presented to the CERN Council in June and highlights CERN's main achievements and activities from 2018. You can read it online here. Paper copies are available at the Library. Happy reading!cmenard
- Journées portes ouvertes du CERN : dernier appel à volontaires July 17, 2019CERN Open Days: Final call for volunteers camonnin Wed, 07/17/2019 - 15:03 On 14 and 15 September, more than 150 activities will be offered to the 80 000 visitors expected on our sites. Volunteers will be the key to the success of this exceptional event. More than 1700 volunteers have already signed-up but we still need […]camonnin
- Closure of cafeteria in building 774: 22 July to 16 August July 11, 2019Closure of cafeteria in building 774: 22 July to 16 August anschaef Thu, 07/11/2019 - 10:24 Please note that, contrary to what was announced earlier, the cafeteria located in building 774 will be closed from 22 July to 16 August. It will reopen at the usual hours on Monday, 19 August. Thank you for your […]anschaef
- CERN’s Hardronic music festival – save the date July 9, 2019CERN’s Hardronic music festival – save the date anschaef Tue, 07/09/2019 - 21:01 The Hardronic musical festival is the opportunity for CERN’s staff, summer students, users, and their friends and families, to come to the site and enjoy live music, animations, food and cool drinks. This year’s edition takes place on Saturday 20 July and […]anschaef
- Don du sang - 16 et 17 juillet de 8h30 à 15h30 July 8, 2019Blood Donation - 16 and 17 July from 8.30am to 3.30pm cmenard Mon, 07/08/2019 - 23:28cmenard
- CERN Summer Student Webfest: weekend of science & creativity July 8, 2019CERN Summer Student Webfest: weekend of science & creativity cmenard Mon, 07/08/2019 - 20:45 Are you passionate about science? Do you like communicating that passion to the general public? Then come along to the 2019 CERN Summer Student Webfest on the weekend of 26 to 28 July. The event is a grassroots initiative, open to […]cmenard
- Intel advanced-computing user group July 8, 2019Intel advanced-computing user group cmenard Mon, 07/08/2019 - 11:53 In September, CERN will host the annual conference of the ‘Intel Extreme Performance User Group’. This community event — an important discussion forum for those making use of Intel’s computing technologies to support their research — will take place in the CERN Globe of Science and […]cmenard
- Temporary closure of the Prévessin post office July 5, 2019Temporary closure of the Prévessin post office cmenard Fri, 07/05/2019 - 17:29 The Prévessin post office, located in building 866, will be temporarily closed from Friday, 12 July, to Monday, 19 August, because of refurbishment work. The post office will reopen on 20 August. Thank you for your understanding.cmenard
- Geneva 2050 consultation: have your say July 4, 2019Geneva 2050 consultation: have your say cmenard Thu, 07/04/2019 - 16:36 The Geneva State Council has launched an online consultation to gather the public’s opinions on the major issues of the future. This survey is being organised in the framework of the Geneva 2050 project, which is looking to the future in order to anticipate and adapt […]cmenard
- Happy Hour – Restaurant 1 June 27, 2019Happy Hour – Restaurant 1 camonnin Thu, 06/27/2019 - 11:12camonnin
Cern Live Feed