The European Organization for Nuclear Research
known as CERN (/ˈsɜːrn/; French pronunciation: [sɛʁn]; derived from the name "Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire"; see History), is a European research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Established in 1954, the organization is based in a northwest suburb of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border, (46°14′3″N 6°3′19″E) and has 22 member states. Israel is the only non-European country granted full membership.
CERN's main function is to provide the particle accelerators and other infrastructure needed for high-energy physics research – as a result, numerous experiments have been constructed at CERN as a result of international collaborations.
CERN is also the birthplace of the World Wide Web. The main site at Meyrin has a large computer facility containing powerful data processing facilities, primarily for experimental-data analysis; because of the need to make these facilities available to researchers elsewhere, it has historically been a major wide area network hub.
Advanced Wakefield Experiment by cern
The Proton Driven Plasma Wakefield Acceleration Experiment (AWAKE) is an accelerator R&D project based at CERN. It is a proof-of-principle experiment investigating the use of plasma wakefields driven by a proton bunch to accelerate charged particles.
A plasma wakefield is a type of wave generated by particles travelling through a plasma. AWAKE will send proton beams through plasma cells to generate these fields. By harnessing wakefields, physicists may be able to produce accelerator gradients hundreds of times higher than those achieved in current radiofrequency cavities. This would allow future colliders to achieve higher energies over shorter distances than is possible today.
chk it out here
- 40 years of physics in the North Area March 20, 201940 years of physics in the North Area camonnin Wed, 03/20/2019 - 14:51 (Image: CERN) Fixed-target experiments have a long history at CERN, forming essential building blocks in the physics landscape, in parallel to collider facilities. For 40 years, the Super Proton Synchrotron (SPS) has provided a steady stream of high-energy proton beams to the […]camonnin
- Blood Donation - 3 April - Restaurant n°2 March 20, 2019Blood Donation - 3 April - Restaurant n°2 camonnin Wed, 03/20/2019 - 08:58 Poster for announcement on blood donation (Image: CERN)camonnin
- Finding Happiness in Patent Information Databases March 18, 2019Finding Happiness in Patent Information Databases cmenard Mon, 03/18/2019 - 11:19 CERN’s Knowledge Transfer Group will be running the one day training session “Finding Happiness in Patent Information Databases” on 7 May 2019 at the CERN Training Centre. Learn about the anatomy of patents and patent information databases and why it matters. Description of the course: […]cmenard
- Traffic disruptions - "For the Climate" march March 14, 2019Traffic disruptions - "For the Climate" march cmenard Thu, 03/14/2019 - 17:00 Strong traffic disruptions are expected between 13:00 and 18:00 on Friday 15 March during the March for climate in the following areas: Place des XXII-Cantons Mont Blanc Street Mont Blanc Bridge Rue du Rhône Low Streets Rue de la Corraterie Place-de-Neuve Please comply […]cmenard
- Join us for a Voxxed Day (2019) March 8, 2019Join us for a Voxxed Day (2019) camonnin Fri, 03/08/2019 - 16:40 On 25th of February 2017, CERN hosted the very first edition of Voxxed Days CERN, in what was one of the largest software development conferences to ever be held in the Suisse Romande region. (Image: CERN) Voxxed Days are a series of tech […]camonnin
- 12 March: presentation of Würth Elektronik (Schweiz) AG March 8, 201912 March: presentation of Würth Elektronik (Schweiz) AG anschaef Fri, 03/08/2019 - 12:14 Tuesday 12 March 9h – 16h CERN Building 61-1-009 Main topics: Presentation of our products and services in the Passive Electronics, Connectivity and Custom Products section. Many Design kits will be presented. We remind you that our design kits are being filled for […]anschaef
- CERN Accelerator School: Advanced Accelerator Physics 9 – 21 June 2019 March 7, 2019CERN Accelerator School: Advanced Accelerator Physics 9 – 21 June 2019 camonnin Thu, 03/07/2019 - 14:07 CAS poster for announcement (Image: CERN) Registration is now open for the CERN Accelerator School’s course on Advanced Accelerator Physics, to be held in Slangerup, Denmark, from 9 to 21 June 2019. The course will be of interest to physicists and engineers […]camonnin
- 14 March: Closure of roads for an exceptional convoy on the Meyrin site March 4, 201914 March: Closure of roads for an exceptional convoy on the Meyrin site anschaef Mon, 03/04/2019 - 11:28 Due to an exceptional convoy, Route Einstein, Route Balmer and Route de Meyrin will be closed on Thursday 14 March from 9.00 am to 12.00 pm. The Route de Meyrin will also be closed from the […]anschaef
- 19-20 March: Belgium at CERN March 4, 201919-20 March: Belgium at CERN anschaef Mon, 03/04/2019 - 09:54 On Tuesday 19 March and Wednesday 20 March, 36 Belgian firms will be present at CERN. The goal of these two days it to create new procurement opportunities with Belgian industry. CERN personnel are encouraged to participate in B2B meetings directly with the companies, […]anschaef
- 7-8 March: Swedish high-tech suppliers at CERN February 27, 20197-8 March: Swedish high-tech suppliers at CERN anschaef Wed, 02/27/2019 - 10:19anschaef
Cern Live Feed