The European Organization for Nuclear Research
known as CERN (/ˈsɜːrn/; French pronunciation: [sɛʁn]; derived from the name "Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire"; see History), is a European research organization that operates the largest particle physics laboratory in the world. Established in 1954, the organization is based in a northwest suburb of Geneva on the Franco–Swiss border, (46°14′3″N 6°3′19″E) and has 22 member states. Israel is the only non-European country granted full membership.
CERN's main function is to provide the particle accelerators and other infrastructure needed for high-energy physics research – as a result, numerous experiments have been constructed at CERN as a result of international collaborations.
CERN is also the birthplace of the World Wide Web. The main site at Meyrin has a large computer facility containing powerful data processing facilities, primarily for experimental-data analysis; because of the need to make these facilities available to researchers elsewhere, it has historically been a major wide area network hub.
Advanced Wakefield Experiment by cern
The Proton Driven Plasma Wakefield Acceleration Experiment (AWAKE) is an accelerator R&D project based at CERN. It is a proof-of-principle experiment investigating the use of plasma wakefields driven by a proton bunch to accelerate charged particles.
A plasma wakefield is a type of wave generated by particles travelling through a plasma. AWAKE will send proton beams through plasma cells to generate these fields. By harnessing wakefields, physicists may be able to produce accelerator gradients hundreds of times higher than those achieved in current radiofrequency cavities. This would allow future colliders to achieve higher energies over shorter distances than is possible today.
chk it out here
- Science Gateway borehole strikes underground gas pocket February 25, 2021Science Gateway borehole strikes underground gas pocket thortala Thu, 02/25/2021 - 17:16 If you’re passing CERN’s Entrance A during the hours of darkness over the next few days, you might notice a flare as engineers burn off an underground pocket of gas. During the drilling of the first geothermal borehole for Science Gateway next to […]thortala
- Online networking event with start-up developing sustainable nuclear energy on 26 February at 12 p.m. February 22, 2021Online networking event with start-up developing sustainable nuclear energy on 26 February at 12 p.m. thortala Mon, 02/22/2021 - 17:27 Join representatives from Seaborg Technologies to find out more about the company, potential job opportunities and the skills and talents they are now seeking. CERN Alumnus Ask Løvschall-Jensen, co-founder and COO of the fast-growing Danish start-up, […]thortala
- New Scientist Online Event: “Making sense of quantum theory” with Carlo Rovelli February 22, 2021New Scientist Online Event: “Making sense of quantum theory” with Carlo Rovelli CERN Library thortala Mon, 02/22/2021 - 15:20 On 1 April 2021, Carlo Rovelli will give a one hour online talk on quantum theory at 6 p.m. BST / 7 p.m. Geneva Time / 1 p.m. EST, in the framework of the Big Ideas in Physics series […]thortala
- The housing service adapts to COVID-19 times February 22, 2021The housing service adapts to COVID-19 times SCE department anschaef Mon, 02/22/2021 - 11:21 Given that there are fewer people than usual staying in the CERN hostels on the Meyrin site and at the Robert Schuman residence in Saint-Genis, the SCE department is temporarily opening hostel reservations to a wider public for the duration of […]anschaef
- Come enjoy the Restaurant 1 terrace! February 22, 2021Come enjoy the Restaurant 1 terrace! SCE department anschaef Mon, 02/22/2021 - 10:12 Since 5 February, there has been an extra reason to long for the arrival of the good weather and sunnier days. As some of you have already discovered, the Restaurant 1 terrace now has new furniture, providing 150 extra places to sit […]anschaef
- Information session on the Women in Technology mentoring programme February 22, 2021Information session on the Women in Technology mentoring programme thortala Mon, 02/22/2021 - 09:21 Women in Technology is back for a fourth year of the WIT Mentoring Programme. After three successful rounds, with the last one organised in collaboration with the CERN Alumni team, WIT is offering yet another opportunity to work on your personal […]thortala
- Join the audience for CERN Courier’s live webinar at 3 p.m. CET on 25 February, hosted by CERN physicist Manuela Cirilli February 22, 2021Join the audience for CERN Courier’s live webinar at 3 p.m. CET on 25 February, hosted by CERN physicist Manuela Cirilli thortala Mon, 02/22/2021 - 08:52 Besides the intrinsic worth of the knowledge that it generates, particle physics often acts as a trailblazer in developing cutting-edge technologies in the fields of accelerators, detectors and computing. […]thortala
- Prévessin gas station unavailable on Monday 1 March 2021 February 19, 2021Prévessin gas station unavailable on Monday 1 March 2021 SCE department thortala Fri, 02/19/2021 - 16:03 Due to the painting of road markings, the Prévessin gas station will be unavailable on Monday 1 March 2021. Thank you for your understanding.thortala
- Webinar on tunnelling studies for the Future Circular Collider – 24 February 2021 February 15, 2021Webinar on tunnelling studies for the Future Circular Collider – 24 February 2021 thortala Mon, 02/15/2021 - 09:38 Registration is open on the Institution of Civil Engineers website for the webinar on tunnelling and civil engineering for the Future Circular Collider (FCC). The free, English-language online event will tackle the FCC feasibility study that is […]thortala
- Book presentation: "Safety for Particle Accelerators", by Thomas Otto February 11, 2021Book presentation: "Safety for Particle Accelerators", by Thomas Otto CERN Library thortala Thu, 02/11/2021 - 17:14 We are glad to invite you to a presentation of the following book: "Safety for Particle Accelerators", by Thomas Otto, Springer, 2021. The event will take place online on Thursday 25 February at 4 p.m. Join us here (no […]thortala
Cern Live Feed